Sunday, July 6, 2014

Vintage Journey, Our Creative Corner and ePlay

I'm excited to be sharing a project I made for three challenges -  A Vintage Journey - Challenge #9 - to use every stamp in a stamp set (with a Tim Holtz influence),  Our Creative Corner Challenge - Use Home Made Flowers and Hand Dyed Ribbon, and this month's eclectic Paperie ePlay challenge - to alter a bottle.
I decorated a plain rose colored bottle that I got at Michaels for $1.99 - and a possible use for it would be to hold some of my paint brushes on my work table as shown here!
So let me show you how I decorated my plain bottle and how I hit all the points in all three challenges - WARNING - lots of pictures to follow!  I've linked all the products in or at the end of my post.
First, I covered my bottle with Wendy Vecchi Gold Embossing Paste, applying it with my fingers- and let it dry.
 Next I covered the bottle with Wendy Vecchi Crackled Texture Paste - and let it dry.  After it was dry and crackled - I sponged the bottle with Ranger Distress Inks - Picked Raspberry and Gathered Twigs. (no picture of this step!)
 I wanted to place all the images from The Chemist set on my bottle - but I didn't want the images to cover all the crackle and color - so I decided to decoupage it by stamping the images on white tissue paper with Archival Jet Black Ink and then coloring the images with Ranger Distress Stains Frayed Burlap, Bundled Sage, Tumbled Glass and Worn Lipstick (Ink Palette Distress Technique from Tim's Compendium of Curiosities Vol II Page 51) and my water brush.  I wasn't sure if the color would still show after I decoupaged it onto the bottle - so this became my little experiment!
 I cut the images close to the edges and laid them out on my grid paper that I marked roughly with the circumference size of the bottle so I could see how they would fit without overlapping.
 Then I started adhering the images to the bottle by brushing Matte Mod Podge on the bottle, laying the image over it and then brushing the Mod Podge over the tissue paper image - being careful not to get it so wet that the tissue would tear.  Then I let it dry overnight.
 Here are views of the 4 images after the Mod Podge Dried.  At this point I wanted to grunge up the surface a bit and so I added some Wendy Vecchi Gold Embossing paste with my finger randomly around the images.  I also used my Distress Spritzer with a black soot Distress Marker to add a little splatter.  Here's the 1st of 4 images.  You can still see the colors on the images - very faintly!
 I adhered a couple of Mini Gears using Glue N Seal.  Here's the 2nd of the 4 images.
 Here's the 3rd of the 4 images.  My hand made flower is below this image and I'll show you that in a moment!
 And finally, the 4th of the 4 images in this stamp set -  the Chemist himself!
 I added a Numeral to his apron - coloring it with Rust Alcohol Ink and Pearl Mixative.  I also stained the cork stopper using Ranger Distress Stains Picked Raspberry and Frayed Burlap.
 Here is my handmade flower.  I had the pieces already made, left over from a project I posted a few weeks ago - so I just had to curve it, color it and layer it.  I rubbed some Frayed Burlap Distress Stain on the petals to grunge it up a bit.  The Gold Berry Flower Center is by Wendy Vecchi/Blossom Bucket.
 I made the flower by layering a piece of Tim Holtz Eclectic Elements fabric to a piece of Wendy Vecchi Art Parts Clearly for Art Modeling Film using Glue N Seal
 Once it dried -  I cut the flowers out of the sheet using my Tattered Florals die.
 The Modeling Film will soften when you use your heat tool on it - so I was able to curve the petals
 And finally - my hand dyed ribbon.  I dyed my Crinkle Ribbon by rubbing Picked Raspberry and Frayed Burlap Distress Stains on my Nonstick Craft Mat - spritzing it with Perfect Pearl Mist - then pulling the ribbon through it - crinkling it up and drying it with my heat tool.
I wanted the ribbon to look masculine to go with the Chemist images - so I tied it with just a small bow - and threaded both tails through an Idea-ology Buckle.  I stuck a Philosophy tag through the bow with a Memo Pin and just let the long tails hang on the side of the bottle.
and finally - I rubbed more of  the Gold Embossing Paste on the ribbon.
Even though this is a rather masculine project -  I think it will be staying on my work table - giving me a lovely artistic container to look at while I create more art!
Ok - I think I'm done now!   SO sorry for keeping you so long!  I hope you'll join in on all three of these inspiring challenges!   A Vintage JourneyOur Creative Corner - and eclectic Paperie ePlay challenge -  go and get creative!


Stamps:  The Chemist - Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous
Paper:  White Tissue Paper - from stash.
Ink:  Ranger Distress Picked Raspberry, Gathered Twigs, Archival Jet Black
Accessories:  bottle - Michaels, Glue N Seal - Ranger, Mod Podge Matte; Gold Embossing Paste, Crackled Texture Paste, Art Parts Clearly for Art Modeling Film, Gold Berry Flower Center/Blossom Bucket - Wendy Vecchi; Distress Spritzer, Black Soot Distress Marker - Ranger; Adirondack Pearl Mixative and Rust Alcohol Ink; Ranger Distress Stains Frayed Burlap, Bundled Sage, Tumbled Glass and Worn Lipstick; Perfect Pearl Mist - Ranger; Tattered Floral Die - Tim Holtz Alterations. Eclectic Elements Fabric - Ranger, Idea-ology Mini Gears, Buckles, Philosophy Tags, Memo Pins, Mini Numerals, crinkle ribbon.

23 comments:

Rupa Swaminathan said...

Oh Julia! This is a beauty...you havemanaged to combine masculine images with feminine colors...amazing work.

~amy~ said...

Julia, this is amazing!

Redanne said...

This is a wonderful transformation Julia, instead of being masculine I think it looks like a chemist coming up with a new fragrance of perfume! It is beautiful. Thanks so much for joining in at A Vintage Journey! Anne xx

toni said...

Wonderful Julia ! love how you've created this altered bottle the colours, the texture with that gorgeous crackling and the lovely stamping and additional elements, really super ! xx

Loll said...

Wow ... amazing project. So many steps, but look at the work of art at the end - gorgeous! Your work is so inspiring Julia! xx

Unknown said...

You are a master mind... LOVE THIS all... your flower is wonderfully created and everything else is great... I agree with Anne... it is a new perfume bottle... Love it Julia... thanks for all the sharing... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

Nikki Acton said...

Wonderful idea and so well done! It is a great piece of altered art. Thanks for joining in with us at A Vintage Journey. Nikki xx

Dianne said...

Hello Miss Julia, this is FANTASTIC,FANTASTIC, FANTASTIC, the crackle is Fabulousssss, love the stamping on the tissue, it became part of the bottle, mixing with the crackle, amazing, the colors are gorgesssssss all that gold has my Magpie eyes all googly,outstanding creation, good luck this deserve to win, have a wonderful week, ((( BIG HUGS )))..

Kim Heggins said...

Julia...you are just amazing and so creative! I love your bottle and each and every detail of it.

Lys said...

I love this surprising and beautiful bottle, original technique of stamping and a great result.

Annie said...

A fantastic alteration Julia and it will look so amazing in your crafting space. Wonderful details and thank you for sharing them with us at A Vintage Journey this fortnight

Hugs Annie x

Deepti said...

Wow what an amazing work of art, thank you for sharing the tutorial!

Anonymous said...

Julia, what a wonderful altered bottle you have created. This really is a lesson in not to throw out old bottles because this is what we can create with them. Truly a superb piece. Karen.x

Jenny Marples said...

So I'm genuinely running out of superlatives for describing your incredible work. As ever you've nailed it with this altered bottle - I love everything about it and stand in awe of your talent. Thank you so much for joining us at A Vintage Journey. Jenny x

Words and Pictures said...

Wow, Julia - what a showstopper! This is absolutely amazing. I love the tissue images over the crackle - what a great effect, and the gold paste over the top blends everything seamlessly. A brilliant make! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Our Creative Corner and joining us on A Vintage Journey!
Alison xx

Brenda Brown said...

Thanks for sharing this with us at A Vintage Journey and well done for using all the stamps in a set, that was a real challenge and you met it beautifully in creating this gorgeous bottle. Love it xx

Brenda Brown said...

Thanks for sharing this with us at A Vintage Journey and well done for using all the stamps in a set, that was a real challenge and you met it beautifully in creating this gorgeous bottle. Love it xx

Astrid Maclean said...

This is brilliant Julia, wow, so clever the way you did this bottle and super use of those stamps!! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at A Vintage Journey and Our Creative corner, - love your make!!

Karin said...

This looks amazing, love it!
Groetjes Karin (OCC)

Sue Lelli said...

Julia, this is so FUN and Brilliant! LOVE all of the MANY details! I would keep that close on my desk, too!

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful and creative piece!

Laurart said...

This is so beautiful! I love it! Thanks so much for joining us this month at Our Creative Corner! x

Micki said...

Julia - gorgeous. Love the crackle and how the stamped images still pop on the bottle. The flower is gorgeous (mental note to self about the fabric on clear modeling film. Beautiful!