Monday, August 18, 2014

A Vintage Journey #12 - Time Flies

I finally got my very first Journal Page completed and adhered into my very first Journal (seen on this post here).  My design is based on the latest A Vintage Journey challenge - Time Flies.
I have quite a few photos showing many of the steps I took to make my page -  I wanted to start out with acrylic paints - and although I am trying to get comfortable with the Tim Holtz/grunge/steampunk look - I find I'm still kind of a neat freak.  Since I really didn't know what I was going to do - I started my work on a panel of white card stock instead of working directly on the page in my journal - so if I made a complete mess - I could start over!
So - after covering the page with White Gesso and letting it dry - I brushed 3 different colors of Dina Wakley Acrylic paints (Sky, White, Lemon) mixed with a lot of water - over the page.
Thinking I wanted it a little darker -  I brushed on more paint  I realized after I was done - if I waited between colors - they wouldn't have blended so much - but I really wasn't sure what I was trying to do anyway - so I continued on!
After that dried overnight  I added some birds in flight using Wendy Vecchi Metallic Gold Embossing Paste and Dina Wakley's Birds Stencil.  (I am SO impatient!  I want to go from one step to the next in one sitting - and that just cannot happen with paints and embossing pastes!)  I'm realizing you have to allow 4-5 days to make a journal page if you are using paints and pastes!
The next day - I did more stenciling using Wendy Vecchi's Translucent Embossing Paste and Dina Wakley's Plastic Canvas stencil.  The paste looks sort of white here because I had just put it on - but it drys clear.
So now I felt the paint colors and gold embossing paste were too bright and 'clean' - so I mixed some white paint with a lot of water and brushed a 'wash' over the whole page to tone it down.
After the wash dried - I spritzed the whole page with Dylusions White Linen Ink Spray.  Then I just started adding things -  Remnant Rubs, Chit Chat Stickers, Film Strip Ribbon adhered with my Tiny Attacher, and Deco Type Industrious Stickers.  I drew around the Chit Chat Stickers with a black Stabilo Pencil and rubbed it with my finger to blend the lines in.
The clock face is cut from a piece of paper from Tim Holtz Paper Stash/Collage pad.  I brushed Rusty Hinge Distress Paint over the Game Spinner - dried it with my heat tool and adhered it through the page with a brad - I realize now I should have added two hands for a clock (DUH!!)   The sentiment is from Tim Holtz set - Classics #16.  Along the bottom I inked Tim's Cargo Stencil with Archival Orange Blossom Ink.
I also have found it's tricky to know when to stop adding things on to a project.  Sometimes you find out when you add that 'one more thing' and it ruins the project (!)  I stopped here for my page - layered it to a slightly larger piece of black card stock (to give me a clean edge!) and adhered it into my Journal  - and I'm happy with it!
In addition to the A Vintage Journey Challenge

I'm also entering this into the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge - Stencils and Pastes
and the August eclectic Paperie ePlay challenge - any kind of Embossing


Stamps:  Classics #16 - Stampers Anonymous/Tim Holtz
Paper:  White, True Black - PTI, Tim Holtz Paper Stash/Collage.
Ink:  Ranger Distress Brushed Corduroy, Archival Jet Black and Orange Blossom
Accessories:  Non Stick Craft Sheet, Dina Wakley Acrylic Paints Sky, White, Lemon, Dina Wakley Brushes, Dina Wakley Birds Stencil and Plastic Canvas, Ranger Distresser, Dylusions White Linen Ink Spray, Black Stabilo Pencil, Scor Tape, Rusty Hinge Distress Paint, Idea-ology - Film Strip Ribbon, Game Spinners, Chit Chat Stickers, Remnant Rubs Botanicals, Industrious stickers/Deco Type, Mini Blending tool, Ranger Tiny Attacher, Wendy Vecchi Metallic Gold and Translucent Embossing Pastes, palette knife, Tim Holtz Cargo Stencil.

17 comments:

Annette Allen said...

wow this is amazing.. love those cool birds..

Micki said...

I love how this turned out. The birds turned out great and love how your background looks! Wonderful page.

Mona Pendleton said...

Awesome Julia! Such a beautiful background! Love the stenciled birds!

Redanne said...

This made me smile all the way through Julia, you craft so much like me. Now I know why I rarely use embossing paste - I am too impatient - lol ! I love your page, the colours in the background blend so well and I love your flight element with the birds.

Thanks so much for joining in our challenge at A Vintage Journey. Anne xx

Kim said...

Love your journal page Julia. I have not worked much with the pastes, so thank you for the tip. Your colors are lovely.

Terry said...

Love those golden birds in the background of your journal page. Beautiful texture and colors, Julia! Thank you for joining us at A Vintage Journey.

Sue Lelli said...

The birds and your BG are amazing and I LOVE it more after you gave it a wash! The clear embossing paste stenciled is a great detail.

Anonymous said...

What a FUN journal page, looks like you had lots of fun!!!

*Vicki* said...

Such a gorgeous journal page!! Love the texture you've added with the paints! :)

crafty creations said...

Hi Julia

What a stunning page you have created - all that texture (yes I am impatient too lol) love the whole design

Mines up it would be great if you could visit

Donna B. said...

What a great page! I love the texture of the birds and the background. Thanks for playing with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

Lynn K said...

Great art journal page. Love the background and the stenciled birds are awesome! Thanks for joining us in this month's Mixed Media Monthly Challenge "Stencils and Pastes"!

Jennie Atkinson said...

What a wonderful journal page Julia - wonderful textures and colours but the birds are fabulous! Thank you for joining us at A Vintage Journey for our Time Flies Challenge. Jennie

Rachel said...

i love your page! those birds look awesome. congrats on your first journal! have fun! Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
-Rachel
rwkrafts.com

Unknown said...

Love your layout and your interpretation! >:o) Delighted you joined in with our 'Time flies' challenge at A Vintage Journey. Chris xxxx

Lynn said...

I'm impatient too! I love the texture that pastes give but it can really be a pain to wait for it to dry :) That's why I usually work on a few projects at a time, hah. Anyways, love your page! Thanks for playing along with us at Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

Lalo said...

The details are awesome. So pretty!