Tuesday, September 1, 2015

September Mixed Media Card Challenge - Friendship

It's the first of September and time for the next Mixed Media Card Challenge!  This month's theme is Friendship with the optional element of ribbon.
I didn't use the optional element this time -  just the friendship theme!  We often share coffee with friends, at home, at work, in the car, on a plane......!   So for my card I got out my ARTplorations Coffee Cup stencil.  I used a really cool technique from Tim Holtz Compendium of Curiosities Vol III page 48 called Layering Stencil Monoprint.  I took the stencil, turned it over on my craft mat and rubbed my Ranger Distress Vintage Photo ink pad all over the stencil.  Then I lightly spritzed it with water.  I flipped it over onto a 4" x 5 1/4" panel of Rustic Cream card stock and quickly pressed over the stencil to be sure the watery ink touched all the surfaces.  I removed the stencil and dried the panel with my heat tool. So it's like a negative of the stencil!
Then I sponged all over the panel with Ranger Distress Stormy Sky ink.   I sprayed some water into the palm of my hand and flicked water onto the panel with my fingers.  The Distress Inks react with water and you get these wonderful water drop marks.  I dried my panel again with my heat tool.  
I stamped the sentiment (perfect for the Friendship theme!) from the Coffee Set by Waltzingmouse directly onto the panel using True Black Ink from PTI.  I added 3 sequins to give it texture and a little shimmer!  Doesn't the stenciling look 3D - like it's cut out of the panel rather than just inked??  I love this technique!!
 So how does Friendship inspire you?   Can't wait to see your Mixed Media Cards linked up over at the Mixed Media Card Challenge -  you'll find all the deets and lots of inspiration from the rest of the talented design team here!   Mixed media being defined as texture, dimension and techniques.

I'm also linking this to the Anything but Cute challenge
I was inspired by the colors and water drops
 
Stamps:  Coffee Set - Waltzingmouse
Paper:  Rustic Cream, Blueberry Sky - PTI
Ink:  Ranger Distress Vintage Photo and Stormy Sky, True Black - PTI
Accessories:  Coffee Cup Stencil - ARTplorations, sequins, water mister - Ranger.

16 comments:

~amy~ said...

Julia, this is wonderful!!!

Anonymous said...

Julia, I love what you did with this card. The sentiment is super fun too. The way you used the stencil and the beautiful coffee color is lovely. Super take on this month' challenge! Melissa

Words and Pictures said...

What a fabulous stencil print - the colours are perfect, like milky coffee - just love it!
Alison xx

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous card Julia! Love the beautiful background!

Becca Cruger said...

This is just so cool! The way you did the background reminds me of a great travertine tile! Super great design!

Jill Norwood said...

Fantastic card and wonderful technique! And the 3-D effect is wonderful!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous card! Your card really does remind me of my friends because we always go for coffee. Love the color!!!

experiments in paper said...

Fab card, Julia! Absolutely love the dimension you got from this technique, and the colors are perfect! xx Lynn

Robyn Oliver said...

Fabulous card Julia, love that background...wow

Cec said...

This is a very smart looking card. Love the fun sentiment and the stencil technique looks fabulous. Thanks for joining us at Anything But Cute.
Hugs!
Cec

Deb said...

Wonderful card and great monoprint Julia! Deb xo

Unknown said...

Lovely looking little card and I love the background! Thank you for entering at Anything But Cute! xx

Mac Mable said...

How creative and clever is this card? Yes it does look 3D and until I read your blog I thought you had stencilled it when I saw it on The Mixed Media site. Loving the colours, the texture and the whole idea of this card x

Lee-Anne said...

Absolutely amazing design...love it, Julia!

Claire Grantham said...

I love this Julia, it is really beautiful and clever and made me want coffee LOL. Cx

maria f. said...

Love. Love. Love.