Thursday, March 30, 2017

Tag Friday at A Vintage Journey

Whenever there is a 5th Friday in a month -  we celebrate a Tag Friday over at A Vintage Journey and who ever signs up creates a tag in any theme/design.  We post them on our blogs with tutorials and then post just the tags over at A Vintage Journey.
So I signed up for this month - and decided to get out my brandy-new and hardly been touched Ranger Distress Oxide Inks and have some play!  And I have to say - I LOVE how the background came out on this tag!  I can't wait until my order with other colors comes so I can play some more!
Here's how I created my tag.
I took a #8 Manila Tag and dragged it through Distress Inks Cracked Pistachio and Dried Marigold that I had rubbed on my craft mat and spritzed with water.  
Pretty light at this point.  
The tag on the left was the first drag so the one on the right  in my photos will always be lighter for each step!  I dried each layer with my heat tool before moving onto the next - so I didn't create MUD!
Next, I dragged each tag through Distress Oxide Vintage Photo that had been spritzed with water on my mat.  With each drag over the mat - I look at the tag and decide if I want more in a certain place or if I want spots or big areas of color.    You never really know what you'll get but you can control it a little bit!  You can already see how the Distress Oxides look different than the Distress Inks. The orange and green show up a little bit more than you can see in the photo below but they are much lighter than the Oxides.
My next layer was with Distress Oxide Broken China with water on the mat.
I wanted to add a little more of the Distress Dried Marigold and Cracked Pistachio so I sponged that on the tags here and there.
And finally I decided to try the Distress Oxides sponged through stencils.  I used Vintage Photo on the left tag and Broken China on the right tag.
The stenciling was pretty dark so I spritzed with water over the stenciling and it melted the color down a little bit.   I also flicked some water over the tags to create spots.
Then as Tim says in his video about the DOX inks -  you have to stop or you could keep adding layer on layer for ever -  just to see what it will look like!  So I stopped here and started decorating.  I ended up using the tag on the right and will use the other one another
I got out Lifes Possibilities - a clear set from Tim/SA and Daper, along with some new Idea-ology stuff - Chatter Design Tape, Quote Chips, and Clippings Stickers.
I colored some Mirrored Hearts with Aqua Adirondack Alcohol Ink
I tied Linen Ribbon and Trimmings/Natural through the hole - tying them with a piece of twine.
I just LOVE the background with it's mix of Distress and Oxide Inks!
 I always add a slightly larger layer of black card to my tags - I like the finished look it gives to the edges and also hides all the mess on the back of the tag that seems to 'happen' when you drag through ink, flick and splatter!
 I put a panel of kraft card on the back of my tag so I could stamp a sentiment or write a salutation.  I will probably use this for a masculine birthday card.
If you are a maker of tags (or think you might like to be!) -  please check out all of the Creative Guides tag creations over at A Vintage Journey here!

I'm linking my tag to:
Country View Challenges - Inspired by Tim Holtz
Stamps:  Daper and Life's Possibilities - Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous
Paper:  #8 Manila Tag - Ranger, True Black - PTI
Ink:  Ranger Distress Oxide Inks Vintage Photo and Broken China, Ranger Distress Inks Dried  Marigold and Cracked Postachio, Adirondack Lights Alcohol Ink Aqua,  Archival Jet Black, True Black - PTI
Accessories:  Idea-ology Chatter Design Tape, Mirrored Hearts, Quote Chips, Clippings Stickers, Linen Ribbon, Trimmings/Natural; water mister, craft mat - Ranger, twine.

19 comments:

Loll said...

Very cool tags Julia. Thanks for the step-by-step. Great layering, and great colours. xx

Brenda Brown said...

I love how your backgrounds came out too Julia, the wonderful blending of the oxides and the fabulous stamping has resulted in a brilliant design. Great job xxx

Words and Pictures said...

Scrumptious inky backgrounds - aren't the Oxides fun?! - and your finished tag is fabulous. Love your stamp choices.
Alison x

Marci said...

Gorgeous background and I love umbrella man. Great tag!

A Pink said...

Stunning! Julia. Love everything about your tag - definitely my kind of art.
Spot on!
x

Bonnie said...

Wow, Julia! Thanks for putting in all your steps! Looks like you had a fun play and the tag is awesome! I love how the black finishes it off! Another great idea!

Redanne said...

I really loved seeing the steps you took to create that gorgeous background Julia and I also love the way you decorated the tag with those great stamp choices. The little coloured gems are beautiful too and the black base tag really does highlight the whole piece! Hugs, Anne xx

S@ndy Diller said...

Just love those inks and you have used them so beautifully. Love your tag. Hugs, Sandy

Jennie Atkinson said...

Absolutely stunning backgrounds Julia - I really enjoyed seeing all your steps and how you mixed the Distress Inks with the Oxides. And then .... so beautifully decorated! It really is a fabulous tag. Have a great weekend x

Susan said...

Beautiful backgrounds, Julia. Thanks for explaining the way you mixed the Distress and Oxide inks. It's good to have some step-by-step ideas to try when my DOX arrive. Love the subtle stamping that lets the background and the sentiments stand out.

nancy littrell said...

Hi Julia, I LOVE your vintage tag using your DI's and DOX inks:-) Wonderful sample showing how the 2 types of inks work so well together. I so appreciate your photo tutorial and description. Thank you again for taking the time to share my friend. Hugs...Nancy

P.S. I just posted a tag last night using Tim's Layering Stencils Part 1 technique. Tags are so much fun:-)

Jane said...

Such fun inky play Julia and your finished tag is fab. I love the way the oxides and inks work together...it's really magical isn't it. Thanks so much for joining in with our Inspired by Tim Holtz challenge over at Country View...our brand new Rust challenge is up today! xx

sarascloset said...

Julia, I really enjoyed reading how this tag came together and how you've used the Oxides paired with inks. Fabulous outcome along with the stenciling and stamping! Love this to bits! Hugs!

Astrid Maclean said...

Fabulous tag Julia, the background looks amazing and I just love the way you finished it, stunning!

Nikki Acton said...

Stunning Julia - wonderful to see how your DOX backgrounds evolved - especially for someone like me who hasnt played yet! Wonderful tag xx

Deb said...

Fabulous Julia, love your gorgeous Oxide backgrounds, I can't wait to get my hands on those inks, watching everyone play is driving me crazy LOL! Fab embellishments as well, Tim's Life Possibilities clear stamps are some of my favourites, and love all the wonderful words and phrases. Thanks so much for sharing it, Deb xo

Jenny Marples said...

Brilliantly designed, beautifully made - it shows off the magic of those Oxides perfectly and has that fabulous vintage feel - LOVE it! xx

A Pink said...

Congratulations! Julia So happy to see your fantastic tag chosen as one of the top 3 at Country View Crafts . x

sarascloset said...

Julia, I'm so excited to see your beautiful tag was chosen as one of the Top picks at Country View (that's 4 wins for the AVJ girls! woo hoo!)! So very well deserved of the honors! Hugs!