Thursday, April 6, 2017

A Vintage Journey - April Challenge - The Magic of 3

I'm excited to share with you my project for the April A Vintage Journey Challenge!   Annie is our hostess this month and her challenge is:  The Magic of 3! 
Here is her challenge description:
"It is said that using three of something adds more interest and power whether it is a conversation, art or numbers. Let us see you use three of something in your challenge project (numbers, techniques, stamps, colours, words, products - the list is endless!)  Let us know your magic 3 components and ensure your project is in our vintage; shabby; mixed media; art journaling; industrial; timeworn or steampunk styles that we favour."

I went a little crazy ordering new 'stuff' from Tim's 2017 release so I used a lot of it in my Magic of 3 project today.  I am so in love with my little vignette!  Let me show you how I put this together.  First, let's count the 3's,  three houses, three trees -  a flower, airplane and car - the triangle to make your eye travel around the scene, and 3 sentiments inside the box 
(one's on the floor of the box so you won't see it until a few more pics below!
So I started with a Vignette Box (3 3/8" x 4 3/4"), I adhered a piece of paper from Paper Stash Tidings to the back of the box.  I got out Tim's City Scape/Suburbia dies and cut out 3 houses and 3 trees and all the little pieces that go with them!  I used Kraft Core Cordinations paper and sanded each piece a little bit.
I sponged the edges with Ranger Distress Ground Espresso.
 (I cut one of the Skyline dies but ended up not using it - you can see it in the bottom of the photo)
I die cut a car and airplane from City Scape/Commute.  I sponged all edges with Ground Espresso.  I used  two round pieces of wood from my stash for the legs on my box.

I adhered a Quote Chip to the top along with one little Tiny Tattered Floral!
I adhered the houses to the inside using different depths of foam dots - so one is in the back, one is a little further out and one is half way to the front.  I did the same thing with the trees.  I just glued the car on with little puddles of glue under the tires! 
 (you can still see the glue as it hadn't dried yet when I took the photo but it will dry clear!)
I added 3 Clippings Stickers inside the vignette (one on the floor of the box seen above).

  I adhered Industrious Stickers/Frames and Trims along the front and side edges of the box.  You can see the 3 foam stickers I used behind the house in this photo below.
Here's a view of the legs.
I'm really pleased my little scene showing the Magic of 3's! 
And so happy to use a lot of my new 'stuff'!
Please join us this month and show us your interpretation of 3's!

Our Sponsor this month is : Emerald Creek  www.emeraldcreek.org
You will find details of the prize as well as lots of 'the Magic of 3' inspiration from the rest of the Creative Guides over at A Vintage Journey.

I'm also linking my project to:
Count Me In - using numbers

Paper:  Idea-ology Paper Stash/Tidings, Kraft Core Cordinations Nostaligic Collection/Sizzix.
Ink:  Ranger Distress Ground Espresso
Accessories:  Idea-ology Vignette Boxes, Industrious Stickers/Frames and Trims, Clippings Stickers, Quote Chips, Thinlits Dies - City Scape/Suburbia, City Scape/Commute, Tiny Tattered Florals, mini sander, foam dots, Tombow Glue, wooden circles, black Stabilo Pencil.

26 comments:

Tonya said...

Julia I love all the little details of your shadow box! Beautifully done! ❤️

Jenny Marples said...

Oh I so love this Julia! The cityscape dies have been used beautifully here and I love how you've used the repetition with the words too xx

sarascloset said...

Julia, I just adore this vignette! You have used all your new goodies to perfection--love those little houses! this scene reminds me of the Crosby, Stills and Nash song "Our House". Magical threes! Hugs!

Monika Gulyas said...

Wow Julia! This vignette box - shadow box is amazing! Now I can't wait to create something with Tim's new cityscape dies! Fantastic inspiration!

Brenda Brown said...

This is an absolutely delightful vignette box Julia I adore the wonderful vintage feel you have achieved with the houses and your magical interpretation of the number three. Xxx

Redanne said...

Oh Julia, what can I say... from the moment I got these little houses I have been playing too, they are such fun!! I absolutely adore your little street of houses, you have coloured them beautifully and I love how you placed them, the words are just perfect too! I love everything about this!! You have shown off the magic of threes to perfection!! Hugs, Anne xx

froebelsternchen said...

What a fantastic assemblage! I am in awe of it! Just GORGEOUS!

Astrid Maclean said...

Such a wonderful vignette box Julia, love what you did with those little houses, a fantastic colourful and happy looking scene, - a joy to look at!

Words and Pictures said...

This is fabulous, Julia - I love your trio of houses set in their deep shadow box. I'm starting to think I might "need" those cityscape houses after all. A delightful creation.
Alison x

Esther Asbury said...

Oh Wow! Your project is absolutely fabulous! You took those dies to a whole new level!

S@ndy Diller said...

Love everything about this Julia - Hugs, Sandy

Bonnie said...

WOW! This is amazing! I love all these tiny elements and the wonderful dimension!

A Pink said...

This is absolutely fabulous! Julia. Love EVERYTHING about it. Designed and executed superbly and a perfect project for the challenge.
LOVE, LOVE , LOVE
x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Julia this is gorgeous. I love the trim around the shadow box and I love your arrangement. Fantastic piece and lovely design. Tracy x

nancy littrell said...

Wow...I think you found joy in the extra..ordinary Julia. TFS your finished project and your steps with descriptions of all your fun Tim Holtz supplies. Hugs..

Mary Marsh said...

this is a beautiful vintage project Julia- you worked all your new stuff to a "t"

Loll said...

Amazing piece of art you've created, Julia. Looks like you have lots of new toys which makes it even more fun. :) Love your Magic of 3 design. xx

Nikki Acton said...

Ah Julia this is brilliant - I havent got those house dies yet - but now I need them! Love everything about this dimensional design xxx

Karen said...

This is such an awesome project! Great tutorial too

Deb said...

I adore your wonderful little scene Julia, those City Scape dies are adorable, I didn't think I needed them but now I do! Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful vignette, Deb xo

SewPaperPaint said...

What a showstopper this is Julia! You certainly were inspired with these new dies. Your scene rivals the booth topper at CHA for sure! How fun, whimsical and utterly inspiring is this! Love it so much! Hugs, Autumn

Jennie Atkinson said...

Absolutely stunning Julia! I love how you combined so many different threes and they all work so well together. A fabulous interpretation of the theme. Jennie x

Jenny Marples said...

Back to add thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie xx

Annie said...

Your vignette box is stunning Julia xx love the details you have incorporated with your new stash xx the mix of three's is quite magical

Apologies for being so late dropping in but I have been away from home

Sending my best wishes
Annie xx

crafty creations said...

Wow Julia what an amazing piece love all the many details xx Hilda

Barbara said...

Wonderful assemblage! i adore the scene you've created! fabulous project! barbara