Friday, April 14, 2017

Eileen Hull Heart Felt Journals - A Garden Record

Today I have another journal to share that I made using Eileen Hull's new Sizzix Journal Die.  The Creative Team has been sharing journals all month over at Eileen's Blog.
I love to garden in my yard and every year I tell myself I'm going to document what was growing that year and where everything was planted and I finally made a Garden Journal for myself to do just that!
 And I've used Eileen Hull's wonderful new Journal Die for my project!
Here are some photos of just how I put this together.
I die cut two covers out of grey felt using Eileen Hull's Sizzix Journal Die.  I cut two pieces of lace and pinned them across the top and bottom of what will be the front cover. 
I cut two more journal covers out of Black Paper Leather (which is pliable, sturdy and light weight) and folded them along the score lines.
I layered the felt and Paper Leather pieces together (to give the felt cover a little sturdiness) being sure the holes matched up.  I sewed along the top and bottom edge of the front cover piece and I sewed just along the binding edge of the back cover to hold the felt and paper leather together.
Here you can see from the back side - the lines of stitching in white.
I added a little glue to the binding edge of the front cover just to hold the pieces together.
Then I glued the two covers together at the binding being sure the holes were lined up.  I held them together with a couple of clothespins while it dried.
I added a tie closure of Fringe Edge Linen Ribbon using a brad through the hole in the center of the binding, using enough ribbon to wrap around the journal twice to accommodate extra thickness as I added garden photos and journaling notes.
I threaded two 16" black elastic cords through the top and bottom holes on the binding to hold the signatures in the journal tying the knots on the inside.
I made two signatures - using 6 papers 7 1/4" x 8 1/2" folded in half to make twelve 7 1/4" x 4 1/4" pages for each signature.
I slipped each signature under a cord in the middle of the signature making it easy to add more pages if I need to.
I die cut petals out of several colors of felt using Eileen Hull's Heartfelt Stitchy Flowers and Leaf Thinlit die set.
I layered several of the petals and leaves together to make 3 flowers.   I stamped sentiments from One With Nature stamp set onto a piece of canvas and adhered it to the cover.  I adhered the flowers onto the cover adding flower gems to the centers and one to the sentiment.
A side view showing the black elastic cords and double wrapped closure ribbon with the brad.
A view showing the tied ribbon
A view of the first few pages I've started to document different areas of my gardens.  These photos are from last year.
One of my patches of Brown Eyed Susans.
A big geranium on our side steps accompanied by a statue.
And also some of the animals (a giant raccoon and Mr. and Mrs. Mallard) that have wandered into our yard attracted by our bird feeders!
And a beautiful Red Tailed Hawk looking for a meal and then preening his feathers in the sun!
Our Rose of Sharon Bushes -  one with pink/purple blooms and one with white blooms even though they grew from shoots off of the same white bloom bush!
I can't wait until my garden starts blooming again this year so I can add new photos and notes to my new Garden Journal!  I love the earthy feel of this felt journal when I hold it in my hands!
What will you make your journal for??
You can pre-order Eileen's Sizzix Journal die over at The Funkie Junkie Boutique!

I'm also linking my journal to the following:


Stamps:  One with Nature - Simon Says Stamp
Paper:  canvas sheet from stash, Black Leather Paper - Sizzix, Lined cardstock - Amuse
Ink:  True Black - PTI
Accessories:  Eileen Hull Sizzix Dies - Journal Die and Stitchy Flowers and Leaf Thinlits Die, Grey  felt - Kunin,  Blue, Green Orange, light Green felts - PTI, Fine Linen Ribbon - Funkie Junkie Boutique, Idea-ology Fasteners/Dapper, Black Elastic Cord - Dritz, flower gems, Sewing Machine.

9 comments:

Brenda Brown said...

Fabulous journal Julia, I love the use of the felt and how you used stitching on it. Adore the flower embellishments too and you've made a brilliant start in it. You'll have a giggle when you see one of mine posted as great minds think alike. Happy Easter my friend xxx

Bonnie said...

Wow! This is a fabulous way to keep a record of your garden! Wonderful pictures of nature!

nancy littrell said...

What a treasured garden journal for your beautiful garden flowers and nature. TFS all your photos Julia. They are so appreciated and inspiring. Hugs...

Shauna said...

What a cool project! Such a lovely journal and very personal! Thanks for playing with us at Inkspirational!
- Shauna

Loll said...

Your journal is so special to capture all the beautiful things in your garden. What a great project. Thanks for your step-by-step. I hope you'll share some pictures of your garden from this year too. :) xx

Words and Pictures said...

The journal looks just lovely in felt, and with all those garden records - charming!
Alison x

Redanne said...

Absolutely gorgeous Julia, I love the soft look of the felt and I bet it feels really tactile too. What a wonderful way to capture the essence of your garden. I want to go and make one of these now.... just need some lovely felt!

Hope you are having a lovely Easter weekend. Hugs, Anne xx

eileen hull said...

Great tutorial Julia on adhering the covers together and assembling the book! I think felt is the perfect choice for the garden journal and pretty flowers on the front to match those that will grow in your garden. (Can't believe your shots of that hawk!) Beautiful journal...

Jenny Marples said...

SO interested to see your idea of using the layers of felt and paper leather to create the basis of your journal Julia. I love how that all works so well together. And the felt flowers are the perfect accompaniment for your garden records inside. Thank you so much for sharing xx